I know what you’re thinking “Cloth Diapers” as in pins, plastic covers, swirling poop and gigantic baby booty right?!! WRONG!!! Cloth Diapers have come so far in ease, function, use and cuteness! For the record it’s not just hippies that cloth diaper, modern working families are cloth diapering, stay at home parents are cloth diapering, and work at home families are cloth diapering. It is for anyone and everyone! The other thing I know your thinking is “cloth diapering is too much work.” Well let me tell you I’m a mother of three, a doula and business owner and I cloth diaper full time. Which means…YOU CAN TOO!
When you realize the benefits of cloth diapering for your bank account, your baby and our environment, a few extra loads of simple laundry is nothing!
Here are some basic reasons on why you should switch to cloth:
- Save MONEY: on average $1500 per child
- Save the earth: (keeping thousands of diapers out of landfills and your neighborhood garbage can)
- Non Toxic: (no chemicals: dixon, TBT, SAP & more) – go to realdiaperassociation.org for more information
- Soft & Cute: that’s right these diapers are a fashion statement and you won’t be needing diaper covers for these!
- Save time: no last minute runs to the store for diapers and you end up buying other items which were not on the list. Face it you are already doing laundry as a parent, a few extra loads is nothing!
- It’s not old school! No pins, swirling, folding etc. Diaper on, diaper off and into the wet bag until washing day.
- It’s NOT gross! Your washer takes in some pretty nasty stuff and baby poop is not the worst of them especially if you are breastfeeding (water soluble/organic). Should you choose to use our cloth diapers, we have made it simple for you with a washing guide and YouTube videos via our YouTube Channel (Eco Chic Baby). As well as for the older babies don’t spaz about that poop just spray it with a diaper sprayer or use flushable liners!
What about blow outs and leaks?
Well cloth diapered babies have LESS blow outs and LESS leaks if used properly! I have NEVER ever known anyone using cloth that has had a “real” blow out (up the back, cut off the onesie type). The back of the diaper is a nice fit versus a flat paper that allows for up the back blow outs. Also, especially when using natural fiber diapers (organic cotton, hemp, bamboo) you will see there is little to no rashes with cloth diapers!
Is it too late?
Is your baby 6 months, 12 months and you think why start now?
It’s NEVER too late. If you have an older baby you can get by with buying about 12 diapers versus 24 or more. As well as still save money especially if used on your next child.
All done having babies is it worth the cost?
YES, even if you have one child you will save $$$ and you can resell your diapers and make some money back! Bought diapers from us? We will buy them back if you don’t want to fuss with putting them up for sale.
How can you save $1500 per child by using cloth diapers?
Here is the breakdown:
- On average you are going to spend close to $150 a month on disposable diapers, wipes, diaper trash bags, trash service, gas to get you to and from the store ….and wait, what about the other things you pick up while you “just go get diapers.” Also, our cloth diapers are ONE SIZE, 8-35lbs with adjustable snaps for small, medium and large!
- So take that $150 or to be safe $100 x that by 12 and that is ONE YEAR of your baby’s diapers!
- So far that is $1200 on ONE BABY for ONE YEAR…now keep adding…
Second year $1200 and third year $1200 (as most toddlers are trained somewhere in between).
- Now that number is $3600 on scratchy paper diapers that have toxins in them and each diaper is sitting in a landfill for almost 500 years – YIKES!!!
- Now as you know you change a baby about 12 times a day so take that and times it by 365 and that is 4380 disposable diapers for ONE YEAR!!!!! Now because babies get changed less as they get older I’m going to throw a average number out there for 2 years of diapering.
- You can buy 7000 disposable (scratchy paper/expensive/toxic) diapers that cost you $3600 OR you can use 24 soft ORGANIC cloth diapers (bum genius elemental) that cost you $995 – or less.
- Now that $995 is including bells and whistles aka Wipes, Warmer, dryer balls, diaper cream, detergent, wet bags (leak and stink proof bag that is handmade, washable and cute for holding dirty diapers) and so on.
- Do you want to buy 7000 disposables for $3600 or 24 cloth diapers for $995?
- Do you want to be part of the growing green movement and keep those diapers out of our landfills and keep toxins away from your precious little one? Then Cloth is THE WAY.
- Before you go to the biggest online retailers to buy cloth diapers, consider “shop small” as well as getting exceptional customer service along with our price matching.
Guest Blog by: Chrissy Helmer – Founder Eco Chic Baby
Chrissy is a mom of three, business owner, childbirth educator, doula, and natural living consultant. She is passionate about empowering mothers to make healthy, eco-friendly choices for their families. A few of her favorite things include: cloth diapers, baby wearing, green smoothies, eco-friendly fashion, and Trader Joe’s peanut butter cups. She and her family live in beautiful Northern California and enjoy bike riding, camping and cooking organic foods. We are a family owned and run retail/resource center. We offer cloth diapers, gear,toys, handmade clothing & accessories along with Organic Skincare, Vitamins and more. We have over 10 classes geared toward new and expectant parents with 3 of them available via skype. And check out our Eco Chic Retreat for moms to rejuvenate their mind, body and soul. To find out more about Chrissy and Eco Chic Baby, visit her website at www.ecochicbaby.org. Also, find Eco Chic Baby on Facebook and on Twitter. Additionally, check out Eco Chic Retreat for moms to rejuvenate their mind, body & soul. Check out our other classes available via Skype too.